In contrast to Eric Hamden, David is a modern guy. 16 years old, 6 ft., dark brown hair, blue eyes. Olive complexion. 160 pounds. He’s wealthy yet most comfortable in a pair of jeans, pullover shirts and sneakers (even if they are Ralph Lauren, Armani and Burberry). His only jewelry: an Aviator Rolex watch and a silver ring with a carved lapis stone that matches the tattoo on his chest. He’s a big classic rock ‘n roll nut who loves Aerosmith and Pink Floyd. Champion archer and track star. Excellent student, top of his class. Loner. He drives a jet black 1967 Shelby GT500 Mustang that once belonged to his dad, and lives in an old Civil War mansion in the mountains of Tennessee. He’s warm-hearted, caring. Sensitive. Self-sacrificing. Tends to hide feelings. Indecisive.
David would enjoy these spicy chicken skewers and sticky sauce served with a big glass of Coke! How will you have yours?
This recipe is part of a series of recipes I have created with author J. Keller-Ford for characters in her new book In The Shadow of the Dragon King, to be published in 2016. This will be the first book in The Chronicles of Fallhollow trilogy. See below the recipe to find out more.
WHAT YOU NEED
For the skewers:
– 12 bamboo or metal skewers
– 6 large chicken breasts
– 36 cherry tomatoes
– Juice of 2 limes
– 1 small onion, very finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 2 to 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (depends on sauce strength and personal taste!)
– 1 teaspoon turmeric (gives it the nice yellow color)
– 1 teaspoon salt
– Several grinds of black pepper
For the sticky sauce:
– 8 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
– 4 garlic cloves, crushed
– 8 tablespoons tomato ketchup
– 8 tablespoons dark brown sugar
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
WHAT YOU DO:
1. Cut each chicken breast into 8 cubes so that you end up with 48 cubes.
2. Make the marinade by mixing together well the lime juice, onion, garlic, hot pepper sauce, turmeric, salt and pepper.
3. Put the cubed chicken into the marinade and stir until all the cubes are fully coated. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least two hours, mixing round occasionally.
4. To make the sauce, put all the sauce ingredients in a pan on a low heat and stir until dissolved. Turn the heat up and boil the sauce for about 10 minutes until it is has thickened and darkened, stirring regularly. Leave to cool, it will thicken further on cooling.
5. Once the chicken has finished marinating, thread it onto the skewers, alternating with the cherry tomatoes. Use 4 pieces of chicken and 3 tomatoes on each skewer.
4. Grill the skewers turning frequently until the chicken is cooked (it’s a fine line between cooked enough and dried out, so keep a close eye on them).
5. Serve with the sticky sauce, toasted pitta bread, and a green salad.
In the Shadow of the Dragon King, coming September 2016 – A seventeen-year-old squire with knightly ambitions reluctantly joins forces with a sixteen-year-old overachiever to slay a dragon, free the realm, and maybe even get the girl.
J Keller-Ford Author Info
J. (Jenny) Keller Ford is a scribbler of Young Adult and New Adult speculative fiction. As an Army brat, she traveled the world and wandered the halls of some of Germany’s most extraordinary castles in hopes of finding snarky dragons, chivalrous knights and wondrous magic to permeate her imagination. What she found remains etched in her topsy-turvy mind and oozes out in sweeping tales of courage, sacrifice, honor and ever-lasting love.
When not torturing her keyboard or trying to silence the voices in her head, Jenny spends time collecting seashells, bowling, screaming on roller coasters and traveling. She is a mom to four magnificent and noble offspring, and currently lives in paradise on the west coast of Florida with a menagerie of royal pets, and her own quirky knight who was brave enough to marry her.
Find out more about Jenny here –