If you’re looking for an alternative to a bread dough pizza base then you’ve come to the right place. However if you don’t like cauliflower then you haven’t. This pizza base uses no flour, just cauliflower, eggs, and cheese.
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the base
– 340g raw cauliflower
– 1 large egg
– 50g grated mozzarella cheese
– 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
– 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs of your choice (mixture of basil and oregano is ideal)
– Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
– Low fat cooking spray
For the topping
Whatever pizza toppings you like! I used a homemade tomato sauce, sauteed mushrooms, baby spinach leaves, fresh pesto sauce, slices of mozzarella, black olives and a sprinkling of dried herbs.
WHAT YOU DO:
1. Pre-heat oven to 210C/420F.
2. Grate the cauliflower to turn it into crumbs, then microwave it for 5 to 6 minutes (if you prefer you can steam or boil it, and then squeeze the excess water out). You want to end up with soft but quite dry crumbs.
3. Place the egg in a large mixing bowl, beat it lightly then add the grated mozzarella and parmesan, the cauliflower, the herbs, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
4. Line a baking tray (or pizza stone if you have one) with greaseproof paper. Tip the cauliflower mixture into the centre and press it down and out into a circle approximately 12-13cm wide, about 1.5cm high.
5. Spray a little cooking spray over the top and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until it is firm and starting to develop some colour.
6. Add your toppings.
7. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until it is melted and bubbling. Cut into wedges and serve.
I loved this recipe and will definitely be making it again. Don’t expect this to have a chewy base like pizza dough usually does, and don’t expect to be able to pick up the slices in your hand, but do expect something tasty and satisfying that will fulfil your pizza urges in a lighter and healthier way (depending on your topping choices of course!).
Care for a slice?