This is a slight variation on a recipe which Jennifer from Coffee & Camera in Hand posted a few days ago. These cupcakes are made with yoghurt (or yogurt, or yoghourt, depending on where you’re from), and have an unusual texture, almost more bread-like than cake-like. I like them because they are summery and they are not overly sweet so you don’t feel too naughty eating a couple.
WHAT YOU NEED:
– 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sieved (if you don’t have SR flour, use plain white flour and add 3 teaspoons of baking powder)
– 1/3 cup castor/superfine sugar
– 1 cup lemon yoghurt (the original recipe uses vanilla yoghurt but I fancied lemon instead)
– 80g butter, melted
– 1 large egg, beaten
– 1/2 cup berries. The original recipe uses raspberries, I had some frozen mixed fruit which described itself as “Black forest fruit” and contained blackberries, blackcurrants, cherries and grapes. So I used a good heaped half cup of that:
Next time I make these, I’m going to increase the fruit quantity.
– Icing sugar to dust.
WHAT YOU DO:
1. If you’re using frozen berries then spread them out to thaw at room temperature, they only needs about 15/20 mins to become usable.
2. Preheat oven to 190C/370F.
3. Mix dry ingredients.
4. Add wet ingredients, folding together.
5. Chop berries into small pieces and fold into the mixture, I included all the juice that came out of them too.
6. Spoon into cupcake cases
6. Bake for 16-18 mins or till cooked.
7. Cool then sprinkle with icing sugar.
These are best eaten fresh, I don’t think they would keep very long.
Yum. A less cake-like muffin is right up my alley. Mm. These sound scrumptious. 🙂 🙂 ❤
They’re just what I like too, I’m not usually keen on overly rich or sweet cakes, I prefer something light and fruity like this. I also think these might be nice served with whipped cream and fresh berries on the side – like a new twist on strawberry shortcake!
Oh nice, perfect afternoon tea, or in the mini version as part of a plate for High Tea.
My hips swell even as I talk about this never mind a taste test–a real one. 😮
Maybe just a little nibble from the edge of one then 😉
Ha ha. ~(*_~)~~
They sound so gorgeous!
Yes, I recommend them! And they were very easy which is always a bonus 🙂
“Naughty eating a couple”? …. oops, oh dear!
Or six, either way!
They look great Vanessa! Lemon yoghurt, yum! I’m going to have to test out a fee other variations now.
I did intend to buy vanilla yoghurt when I went to the shop but while I was searching for it, the lemon yoghurt caught my eye and I love lemony things so I went for that instead! The lemon flavour is actually really nice in there.
Lemon cakes are beautiful, even better than vanilla. I’ll definitely be trying that one.
There are so many flavours of yoghurts, we could try many different variances of these cakes!